Linda Reviews the World

Back by popular demand...

28.3.07

the DVR

Ok, I’ll cop to it. I like TV. As much as I try to play the intellectual card and espouse my love of the written word while pooh-poohing the evils of the idiot box, I can’t deny that my house has four TVs and it is a rare day that I don’t turn on at least one of them. To my credit, I am particular about what I watch. I don’t do sitcoms (although I’ll make exceptions for reruns of Scrubs). I don’t do talk shows. I don’t do soap operas. I limit my reality shows to COPS, American Idol, and whatever design/chef contest is running on Bravo. I don’t know what’s playing on “Must See Thursday” and I don’t even know what network that is. I like Antiques Roadshow, Deadliest Catch, and Adult Swim. And although the TV is almost always on, I’m not always or even usually sitting in front of it, and sometimes even when I am I’m doing something else. It’s just there, like background music.

And in this state of Madonna-esque anti-television snobbery, I always laughed inside when people talked about TiVo or DVR as if it was the answer to their prayers. “TV,” I’d say, “is just not that important to me.” I vehemently refused to get involved in the drama series du jour; 24, The Sopranos, Gray’s Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Law & Order. Never saw ‘em. Never got involved. “I am above all that,” I’d think, “no DVR umbilical cord for me.” Until I got one.

Then WOOSH the whole thing changed! How great is it that I can go to Girl’s Night Out on Tuesday and not miss American Idol??? Or that I can watch old episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and My So Called Life without having to get up at the ungodly hours they air??? (FX at 7am and Nogin at 5am respectively, in case you’re interested.) Or that I can search through a week’s worth of programming on the Independent Film Channel and record all the movies that never came to the theaters in this cultural wasteland of Volusia County??? Or that I never have to miss The Riches or House or The Daily Show because I’d rather be sleeping??? I’ll tell you how great it is – it is FREAKING AWESOME! It's like being able to be in two places at once, like cloning yourself so you can be a couch potato AND a social animal at the same time! It's like having your cake and Edith too!!! DVR really is the greatest thing since sliced bread! Ain’t technology grand?!?

...imagine a sparkly mushroom right here......imagine a sparkly mushroom right here......imagine a sparkly mushroom right here......imagine a sparkly mushroom right here......imagine a sparkly mushroom right here......imagine a sparkly mushroom right here......imagine a sparkly mushroom right here......imagine a sparkly mushroom right here......imagine a sparkly mushroom right here......imagine a sparkly mushroom right here...

I rate DVR 10 sparkly mushrooms!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...cultural wasteland of Volusia County..." ??????????????

Tsk, tsk, Linda, was that a slip of keyboard snobbery?

There IS culture in Volusia County. I read the DAytona paper every day, and frequently have wished I could attend orchestral concerts, selective art shows, operas (Aida, for ex., even if she does die in my worst nightmare, being entombed alive with Radames!) And of course, the Science Museum, which I have visited half a dozen times.
YOU have opened my eyes and given me such vicarious pleasure with your blogs of places to see in Volusia County (nature is the raw material of any culture) and I thank you for that. I read all your blogs and appreciate your input. If ever I acquire a DVR, the History, Science,and Discovery channels will be at the top of my list.

28 March, 2007 18:54  
Blogger Linda said...

Yes, there is culture in Volusia. Just not the culture I'm looking for. I long to see a foreign film on an actual theater screen. I hunger for authentic Greek and German and Russian and South American cuisine. I grew up in a great big melting pot and find myself now in a vat of homogeny.

Boo hoo!

28 March, 2007 19:04  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

... I still remember watching the deadliest catch when Claire and me where over in your flat and I absolutley love Discovery Channel! Claire keeps moaning about "no intelligent TV" when I watch it here.. (btw...I have the last 3 seasons of Mythbusters ;) )
We got a DVR recently aswell, but unfortunatley I keep forgetting to program it! Would be handy to program them from your mobile, wouldnt it?

Andre

28 March, 2007 19:38  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"...authentic Greek and German and Russian and South American cuisine..."
In this little hick town, we have a restaurant that serves Greek salad. There are two Mexican restaurants on the main drag--would that substitute for SA? German slop--make that slaw, etc., you get when you travel to der veenershnitzel land. Russian? I'll e-mail Putin and inquire about that. It might take a while, so don't lose your coupons to Olive Garden.
Your selection of items from Daniel W's unabridged and how you string them together is great! You should write! "...vat of homogeny..." Is that when you remove the bacteria, as in milk? Interesting analogy.
Does that mean that Volusia County is purer...cleaner...has fewer negative aspects to it than Broward?
Funny, the only ...pot...I remember when I was growing up (no, no, NOT that pot!) was the pot we used because there was no indoor plumbing in the little house.
What a difference a generation makes...
And culture? I wonder what I could have cultured from the tomato splats on my kitchen wall way back when...........
yur grate.

28 March, 2007 23:21  
Blogger unHuman said...

Hehe, there's an Onlineservice called www.onlinetvrecorder.com/ which does the same. Although the quality is not worth to compare to DVRs, it's quite handy, since you can 'control' it via text messages from you're mobile phone. I used to record alot of TV-Shows in the past. Mostly documentaries.

But yeah, DVR is maybe one of the great inventions in this millennium

And by the way. Isn't Bravo a Men's Channel?! :P

29 March, 2007 13:45  
Blogger Kimie said...

I have my own DVR, called Andy. I think he has the TV schedule memorised. No chance of me getting anything recorded because he has dibs on both TVs. LOL. My problem is that I am trying to keep up with TV shows in two different countries. and failing. thankfully the summer reruns are coming soon. and then I can try to watch the 1 billion movies in my house that have never been watched. bring on the rain.

09 April, 2007 17:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home